Here are a few tips to keep your pets safe during the holiday celebrations:
- July 4th is often HOT. Be sure your pets have shade and plenty of water.
- While you’re out getting ready for – or traveling to – your holiday celebration, never leave your pets unattended in a hot car. Temperatures can reach life-threatening levels in just a few minutes.
- Parties are fun, but keep alcohol and party food out of your pets’ reach. Ask your guests not to give “treats” to your pets (or provide pet-healthy treats).
- Fireworks and even loud party sounds can be very distressing for pets. Provide a safe, quiet place for your pet to “escape.” This is especially important if your pets are left alone while you are out watching the fireworks!
- If your pet has extreme anxiety problems, ask your vet (in advance) if medication may ease the stress.
- Make sure your pet’s tags are current, and consider microchipping. More pets get lost on July 4th than any other day of the year.
And for our friends in Canada, visit our sister-site, Canada Day Events and Fireworks!